Eagle County Rallies for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
One in eight women in the United States will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime according to www.breastcancer.org. But thankfully local salons and businesses throughout Eagle County are coming together this month to educate celebrate and raise funds to save Eagle County tatas. Pretty in Pink a breast health awareness and fundraising initiative that supports local women in need with breast diagnostics screenings at the Sonnenalp Breast Center is in full swing and working to save lives!
Throughout October take advantage of the special offerings throughout Eagle County. Whether it's getting a new do at a cut-a-thon partying at eTown or buying a pink t-shirt from Eagle River Fire proceeds will help women locally! What could make anyone feel prettier than helping out our sisters?
In its third year Pretty in Pink has proven to be both fun and highly beneficial to local women needing screening services said Peggy Carey Vice President at Shaw Regional Cancer Center. We know that nearly a quarter of a million women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer this year and if found early there is a 98 percent survival rate. Pretty In Pink makes it easier for women to get the tests needed and assures every women knows to start getting annual mammograms at 40.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is a great time to get the word out about the importance of screening. And what better place to spread the word than at your favorite salon with your trusted stylist? In addition to generous donations and percentage of proceeds some salons are making themed parties of the event. Allegria Spa at the Park Hyatt is doing a $25 Cut-a-Thon on 10/10 and a drawing for a couple's massage and dinner at 8100 Grill. Can't make the Allegria Cut-a-thon? Spa Anjali at the Westin is doing one on 10/23. Other events include Pink in the Rink at Eagle Ice Rink on 10/12 Breast Cancer Awareness Spa Party at Elements Day Spa on 10/22 with discounted spa services raffle and door prizes The Return of Pretty in Pink '80s Party at eTown on 10/24 and Pink Zombie Thriller Zumba at Z Scene Zumba on 10/26.
Other fun and pink ways to support Pretty In Pink include Minturn Anglers' pink hats sold in their store Eagle River Fire Department's annual tradition of selling pink shirts Perdiot Hair Design's drawing for $500 and $250 gift baskets Bliss Hair Studio's Style Night on 11/7 and the Sonnenalp Spa's Spa Sensation Kit with a portion of proceeds going to Pretty In Pink. Regardless of how you participate you can know that the proceeds will help women in the valley access life-saving diagnostic screenings.
And don't be a stranger! Stop by The Sonnenalp Breast Center in Edwards to enter into a free drawing for a stay at the Sonnenalp Hotel in Vail with spa treatments or golf. No purchase necessary but we do encourage ladies over 40 to schedule their annual mammogram. Visit shawcancercenter.com/prettyinpink for official rules and additional information.
What does the money support: screenings free diagnostics cost
According to the American Cancer Society (ACS) the 98 percent survival rate drops to just 27 percent if breast cancer is diagnosed late. The ACS and Sonnenalp Breast Center recommend women who are over 40 or younger if they have a strong family history of breast cancer receive annual breast screenings.
While Colorado law mandates insurance covers the full cost of preventative mammograms and there are many assistance programs to get free mammograms what people may not realize until it happens to them is that most insurance does not cover all the expenses of diagnostic breast imaging. When women with a suspicious or questionable mammogram need to go back and have repeat mammograms or other diagnostic procedure it is often not fully covered. The proceeds from Pretty in Pink will go to benefit women who need help covering breast diagnostic procedures through a fund called the Gap Fund.
The Gap Fund is truly helping the working people in our community ease some anxiety and financial stress that comes with diagnostic imaging said Colleen Berga manager of the Sonnenalp Breast Center. The fund was created by the Vail Breast Cancer Awareness Group in July 2012 and has continued to be supported by them and Pretty In Pink. Since inception 89 women have received financial assistance from the Gap Fund and two breast cancers were found in the first year alone.
The best technology: right here in Edwards
In May Sonnenalp Breast Center began offering cutting-edge 3D screenings with the first FDA-approved Breast Tomosynthesis machine. The 3D mammogram builds detailed comprehensive pictures by taking multiple images in 1-millimeter slices locating hard-to-find cancers much earlier increasing cancer detection by as much as 40 percent and better diagnostics for dense breasts. Fine details and cancers are no longer hidden by breast tissue.
Shaw Regional Cancer Center is the regions premier cancer center including Jack's Place a cancer caring house for patients with a pay-what-you-can philosophy Harvard and Duke trained physicians state-of-the-art technology and a spa-like setting. Shaw is a service of Vail Valley Medical Center a nonprofit since 1965.
Participating salons and businesses including specials
Proceeds from the following salon promotions are being donated local women in need.
- Aria Spa @Vail Cascade | $5 donation from all massages and body treatments throughout October Pretty In Pink yoga class
- Four Seasons Spa | Providing education on breast health
- Golden Leaf Spa @Vail Marriott | 5% of all spa services donated from 10/1-7. Additional discounts on massage body treatments facial & nail services
- Posh Salon & Boutique | providing education on breast health
- Sonnenalp Spa | $20 from each Sonnenalp Spa Sensation Kit
- Minturn Anglers | Selling pink baseball hats with proceeds to Shaw Regional Cancer Center
AVON EDWARDS BEAVER CREEK
- Allegria @Park Hyatt | 10/10 Cut-a-thon 10am-6pm $25 cuts. Drawing for dinner at 8100
- Azera Salon | Providing education on breast health
- A Beautiful You | Providing education on breast health
- Bliss Hair Studio | 11/7 BlissEd Style Night 7pm-9pm. Learn basic styling techniques for hot tools
- DJ's Hair Shoppe | Providing education on breast health
- Eagle River Fire Department | Selling pink cancer awareness t-shirts
- eTown | 10/24 The Return of Pretty In Pink '80s Party 5pm Drink specials DJ and the movie Pretty In Pink
- Oh La La | Drawing for free Keratin Complex at the salon
- Spa Anjali @The Westin | 10/23 Cut-a-thon 3pm-6pm $25 cuts and $20 manicures with pink snacks
- The Hair Shoppe | Providing education on breast health
- Vail Nails and Salon | Providing education on breast health
- C&C Spa | Providing education on breast health
- Dragonfly Hair Lounge | Providing education on breast health
- Eagle Ice Rink | 10/12 Pink In The Rink 3:30pm-6pm public skate$6/person $2 skate rental
- Elements A Day Spa | 10/22 Breast Cancer Awareness Spa Party 4pm-7pm Discounted spa services raffle and door prizes. More on website.
- Fusion Hair Studio | Providing education on breast health
- High Altitude Spa | Providing education on breast health
- Kuttin Korner | Providing education on breast health
- Peridot Hair Design | Drawings for $500 and $250 baskets filled with salon services and goodies
- The Dusty Boot Eagle | 10/5 4pm PinktoberFest with Beers Boobs and Brats including live music
- Z Scene Zumba | 10/26 Pink Zombie Thriller Zumba event 1:30pm 4:30pm
Pretty In Pink Sweepstakes
Stop by the Sonnenalp Breast Center to enter to win a stay at the Sonnenalp Hotel in Vail and spa treatments or golf. While women over 40 are there schedule for your annual mammogram to check that off your list. For official rules and additional ways to enter the sweepstakes visit www.shawcancercenter.com/prettyinpink.
Let’s go live:’ Eagle County’s COVID-19 collaboration team reflects on the yearlong battle
This article was written by Pam Boyd and first appeared in the Vail Daily on May 20, 2021. ...
How to feel happier
This article first appeared in the
Vail Health Hospital achieves ANCC Pathway to Excellence® designation
Edwards, CO (May 19, 2021) - Since 2017, Vail Health has placed special focus on programming that enhances the...