Master Facility Plan
Eagle County's Hospital of the Future
Our state-of-the-art medical campus will aim to exceed the expectations of the diverse patients we serve. The facility will directly contribute to improvements in patient care, safety and privacy, and operational efficiencies. Patient access and parking will be dramatically improved by moving the hospital’s main entrance to S. Frontage Rd., increasing parking (including covered parking) and making emergency care more convenient.
To ensure the medical services of our hospital and our partners on campus go uninterrupted, the Master Facility Plan is broken into two phases
PHASE I: West Wing 2015-2017 Complete
PHASE II: East Wing 2018-2020
- Some buildings are nearing 50 years of age.
- The basic mechanical and electrical systems are ready for upgrades and replacement.
- Some of the new services that have been added over the years have been placed where room could be found; sometimes causing disjointed functional relationships between types of services and patient access.
- Space is confined, inefficient, and not keeping pace with the state of the industry or with hospitals that have been recently built or renovated in Aspen, Frisco, Glenwood Springs, Steamboat and other mountain communities.
- An updated, highly-functional hospital that is easy to access and navigate.
- A new state-of-the-art Emergency Department.
- An upgraded Patient Care Unit and Intensive Care Unit, providing improved privacy and dignity for patients.
- A relocated helipad on the medical center campus with direct access to the hospital, eliminating time-consuming transfers of critical patients and newborns.
- Appropriate medical space for physician groups.
- Expanded sports medicine research labs and capabilities.
- Increased parking capacity, including covered parking.
- A new main entrance off of S. Frontage Road, thereby removing 100% of patient, visitor, emergency and staff traffic from W. Meadow Drive.
- A new concealed loading zone with an on-site manager to further minimize public impact.
- Enhanced appearance to complement the architectural renaissance in the villages and neighborhood.
PHASE II: East Wing 2018-2020
A new 350,000-square-foot east wing will improve patient care by including:
- State-of-the-art 24/7 Emergency Department
- Relocated helipad on the medical center campus with direct access to the hospital
- Appropriate medical space for physician groups
- Imaging/radiology department
- Increased covered parking
- Main entrance off South Frontage Road
- Enclosed loading zone
- Pharmacy, gift shop and coffee shop
During this time:
- All medical services will remain fully functional.
- Emergency Department accessible via West Meadow Drive.
- Hospital patients and visitors should valet park on West Meadow Drive or self-park in Lionshead Parking structure and walk to the west entrance.
For more information call (970) 476-2451
- Master Facility Plan (adopted on March 17, 2015) (pdf)
- Master Facility Plan Appendix (revised January 16, 2015) (pdf)
- Vail Valley Partnership Resolution in Support of the Master Facility Plan (pdf)
In The News
Vail Health Hospital’s east wing site has hit bottom — now it’s time to build up
This article was printed in the Vail Daily on February 23, 2019. VAIL — Hitting bottom is usually a bad...
Vail Health Hospital East Wing Expansion Work On Schedule For 2020 Completion
This article was written by Scott Miller and printed in the Vail Daily on 7/30/18 VAIL — More than two...
Vail Health Begins East Wing Hospital Renovation
This article was written by Scott Miller and printed in the Vail Daily on 1/12/18. Completely renovating the...
Vail Valley Medical Center and Steadman Philippon Research Institute Launch Capital Campaign
Vail, CO – Two benefactors have each made a $10 million gift to kick off the first-ever capital campaign...
Hospital CEO Explains Expansion Plans
This article was written by Scott Miller and originally posted by the Vail Daily on January 27 2016. ...
Vail Valley Medical Center Opens New Intensive Care Unit
VAIL COAfter four months of remodeling Vail Valley Medical Center's new Intensive Care Unit (ICU) opened to...