Master Facility Plan
Eagle County's Hospital of the Future
Our state-of-the-art medical campus will aim to exceed the expectations of the diverse patients we serve. The facility will directly contribute to improvements in patient care, safety and privacy, and operational efficiencies. Patient access and parking will be dramatically improved by moving the hospital’s main entrance to S. Frontage Rd., increasing parking (including covered parking) and making emergency care more convenient.
To ensure the medical services of our hospital and our partners on campus go uninterrupted, the Master Facility Plan is broken into two phases
- West Wing: 2015-2017
- East Wing: 2017-2020
- Some buildings are nearing 50 years of age.
- The basic mechanical and electrical systems are ready for upgrades and replacement.
- Some of the new services that have been added over the years have been placed where room could be found; sometimes causing disjointed functional relationships between types of services and patient access.
- Space is confined, inefficient, and not keeping pace with the state of the industry or with hospitals that have been recently built or renovated in Aspen, Frisco, Glenwood Springs, Steamboat and other mountain communities.
- An updated, highly-functional hospital that is easy to access and navigate.
- A new state-of-the-art Emergency Department.
- An upgraded Patient Care Unit and Intensive Care Unit, providing improved privacy and dignity for patients.
- A relocated helipad on the medical center campus with direct access to the hospital, eliminating time-consuming transfers of critical patients and newborns.
- Appropriate medical space for physician groups.
- Expanded sports medicine research labs and capabilities.
- Increased parking capacity, including covered parking.
- A new main entrance off of S. Frontage Road, thereby removing 100% of patient, visitor, emergency and staff traffic from W. Meadow Drive.
- A new concealed loading zone with an on-site manager to further minimize public impact.
- Enhanced appearance to complement the architectural renaissance in the villages and neighborhood.
- Vail Health submitted the final Master Facility Plan Application to the Town of Vail in January 2015.
- The Master Facility Plan was unanimously approved by the Planning and Environmental Commission (PEC) on January 26.
- The Master Facility Plan was unanimously approved by Vail's Town Council on March 17.
- The West Wing Conditional Use Permit (CUP) was unanimously approved by the Planning & Environmental Commission on March 23.
- VVMC received final approval on the west wing from Vail’s Design Review Board (DRB) on June 3.
- Construction on the west wing began on August 3, 2015.
- ICU opened October 2016
- All medical services will remain fully functional.
- Emergency Department accessible via West Meadow Drive.
- All other patients and visitors will access VVMC via South Frontage Road.
- Master Facility Plan (adopted on March 17, 2015) (pdf)
- Master Facility Plan Appendix (revised January 16, 2015) (pdf)
- Vail Valley Partnership Resolution in Support of the Master Facility Plan (pdf)
In The News
Vail Valley Medical Center and Steadman Philippon Research Institute Launch Capital Campaign
Vail, CO – Two benefactors have each made a $10 million gift to kick off the first-ever capital...
Hospital CEO Explains Expansion Plans
This article was written by Scott Miller and originally posted by the Vail Daily on January 27...
Vail Valley Medical Center Opens New Intensive Care Unit
VAIL COAfter four months of remodeling Vail Valley Medical Center's new Intensive Care Unit (ICU) opened...
A Very Big Deal
After years of planning Vail Valley Medical Center on Saturday broke ground on its future an ambitious...
Medical Center Project Begins Monday
VAIL Work starts Monday on a $100 million expansion and renovation project at Vail Valley Medical Center....
VVMC Construction Remodel Set To Begin
After 50 years of serving our community's residents and guests from around the world I'm pleased to...