Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
This simple and savory dish can be eaten by itself, as it provides a balanced mix of carbohydrates, protein and fats. Each portion provides two servings of vegetables — a food group many Americans are lacking in their diets.
• 1 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
• 1 lb lean ground turkey
• 28 ounces canned fireroasted tomatoes
• 15 ounces canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into cubes
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 1 tbsp chili powder
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
• ¼ tsp garlic powder
• ¼ tsp onion powder
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Cilantro, avocado and lime wedges for topping (optional)
1. Heat oil in a saucepan on medium-high heat. Once hot, add ground turkey and heat until brown and cooked through, around 10 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, sweet potatoes, kidney beans, broth and seasonings.
3. Turn up the heat and bring chili to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
5. Enjoy with optional toppings: cilantro, avocado and lime.
Time-saver: Make extra for delicious leftovers or freeze for future, speedy meals. Keep for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator or 4-6 months in the freezer. Low-sodium: Omit salt and opt for “no salt added” and “low sodium” canned goods and chicken broth.
The mission of Vail Health's Food & Nutrition department is to improve patients' lives through quality nutritional care and expert education. We provide our in-patients with wholesome, nourishing and well-balanced meals that enhance their treatment and recovery. In addition, our goal is to educate patients on nutrition and health to help them make good decisions and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Let’s go live:’ Eagle County’s COVID-19 collaboration team reflects on the yearlong battle
This article was written by Pam Boyd and first appeared in the Vail Daily on May 20, 2021. ...
How to feel happier
This article first appeared in the
Vail Health Hospital achieves ANCC Pathway to Excellence® designation
Edwards, CO (May 19, 2021) - Since 2017, Vail Health has placed special focus on programming that enhances the...