Carbs for Athletes
- Lower fiber carb choices that digest quick such as cereal (ex. cheerios), yogurt, small granola bar, oatmeal, watermelon, cantaloupe, banana, grapes, soy milk.
- Colorful fruits high in antioxidants such as berries, cherries, apricots, peaches, Acai juice or frozen pulp for a smoothie, higher fiber cereal or fruited Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of ground flax or chia seeds, nutrition bar, crackers with hummus, protein shake with fruit and 20gm protein etc.
- Select natural sources of high fiber carbohydrate foods at all your meals! Breakfast: try corn tortillas, whole grain bread, cereals, fruit (dried fruit without added sugars). Lunch/Dinner: sweet potatoes, beans/lentils, whole grains with at least 3gm fiber per serving--(i.e. mini-whole wheat bagel or bread, , black bean chips, corn chips, popcorn, crackers, whole wheat tortilla etc.). Tip: If you love salads with a protein add 1/3 cup beans, dried or fresh fruit, or even leftover rice, potatoes or other grains.
BITES FOR BIKERS
- Portability. Choose something with easy access while on the trails.
- Schedule. Try taking a small bite and drink every 15-20 minutes. If you are riding for more than 3 hours, try eating more solid foods at the beginning of your ride, as digestion may slow.
- Quantity. Be prepared. Pack more than enough! According to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), about 30-60g of carbohydrate per hour is recommended to maintain a continuous supply of glucose for rides lasting over 1 hour.
- Hydration. Water is optimum hydration for rides lasting less than 1 hour. If your ride is over an hour or you sweat excessively, consider a sports drink in addition to water.
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This old-time favorite is a great mix of carbs, fat and protein and easy to divide into bite-size portions.
- Bananas. Great source of carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
- Homemade trail mix. Be sure to include dried fruit.
- Energy bar. Choose one with nuts, fruits and whole grains.
- Portable yogurt or fruit pouches. Easy and convenient source of quick energy.
Hike, Wine & Dine returns to Beaver Creek on September 19
Enjoy a scenic hike with gourmet tastings for a great cause! Hike, wine and dine through golden...
NOW OPEN: Urgent Care, Occupational Health & Victim First Care Clinics in Avon Buck Creek Medical Plaza
Vail Health has opened urgent care, occupational health and Victim First Care...
Urgent Care changes in Avon: Vail Health takes over urgent care in Buck Creek Medical Plaza
Vail, CO (July 1, 2021) ― Vail Health will take over management of the urgent care clinic...