Carbs for Athletes
- Lower fiber carb choices that digest quick such as cereal (ex. cheerios), yogurt, small granola bar, oatmeal, watermelon, cantaloupe, banana, grapes, soy milk.
- Colorful fruits high in antioxidants such as berries, cherries, apricots, peaches, Acai juice or frozen pulp for a smoothie, higher fiber cereal or fruited Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of ground flax or chia seeds, nutrition bar, crackers with hummus, protein shake with fruit and 20gm protein etc.
- Select natural sources of high fiber carbohydrate foods at all your meals! Breakfast: try corn tortillas, whole grain bread, cereals, fruit (dried fruit without added sugars). Lunch/Dinner: sweet potatoes, beans/lentils, whole grains with at least 3gm fiber per serving--(i.e. mini-whole wheat bagel or bread, , black bean chips, corn chips, popcorn, crackers, whole wheat tortilla etc.). Tip: If you love salads with a protein add 1/3 cup beans, dried or fresh fruit, or even leftover rice, potatoes or other grains.
BITES FOR BIKERS
- Portability. Choose something with easy access while on the trails.
- Schedule. Try taking a small bite and drink every 15-20 minutes. If you are riding for more than 3 hours, try eating more solid foods at the beginning of your ride, as digestion may slow.
- Quantity. Be prepared. Pack more than enough! According to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), about 30-60g of carbohydrate per hour is recommended to maintain a continuous supply of glucose for rides lasting over 1 hour.
- Hydration. Water is optimum hydration for rides lasting less than 1 hour. If your ride is over an hour or you sweat excessively, consider a sports drink in addition to water.
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This old-time favorite is a great mix of carbs, fat and protein and easy to divide into bite-size portions.
- Bananas. Great source of carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
- Homemade trail mix. Be sure to include dried fruit.
- Energy bar. Choose one with nuts, fruits and whole grains.
- Portable yogurt or fruit pouches. Easy and convenient source of quick energy.
Eagle County partners celebrate launch of mobile clearinghouse program
This article was written by Pam Boyd and printed in the Vail Daily on 8/8/18. Representatives from...
Alternative Hospital Access For Colorado Classic Bike Race Aug 16
Vail Health Hospital and The Medical Professional Building access will be impacted on Thursday, August 16, due...
Vail Health Hospital East Wing Expansion Work On Schedule For 2020 Completion
This article was written by Scott Miller and printed in the Vail Daily on 7/30/18 VAIL — More...