Total Joint Replacement Operating Room Technician
Reports to the Total Joint Replacement Facilitator (TJR) as well as the appropriate Director at each location for the TJR service line in assisting the surgical team by acting as the primary scrub person who handles instruments, supplies and other related equipment during surgical procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Possess expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation of tools and technologies in performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. Functions with working knowledge of AORN standards.
- Maintains and checks all items for proper packaging, processing, moisture, seal and packaging integrity, sterile indicator if present, and expiration dates. Ensures that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly and the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
- Monitors sterile field for events that may contaminate, interfere, or alter field and initiates or notifies of need for corrective action.
- Monitors, evaluates and revises preference cards and knows the order in use of material and supplies.
- Maintains flexibility while contributing to the individualized, ongoing delivery of care within the scope of practice.
- Models effective, timely communication with the perioperative team with full participation in Time Out Process to include Briefings and Debriefings.
- Assists team in patient transports, room turnovers, and room preparation.
- Models professional behavior to include maintaining currency in new technologies and procedures, including instrumentation and equipment.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
- Role models the principles of a Just Culture.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- One year of OR technician experience working in a total joint center
- Licensed as a Surgical Technologist in the state of Colorado required
- Basic Life Support (BLS) by American Heart Association (AHA) required.
Computer / Typing:
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
As a condition of employment, Vail Health requires COVID-19 vaccination of all clinical and non-clinical staff.