Referral & Scheduling Specialist
To us, it's about living life to the fullest while serving our patients, teammates, neighbors and friends. We are dedicated and passionate in everything we do, seeking challenge and appreciating the routes that got us here. Whether our path is clinical or not, we all came to find balance and meaning in our lives within the work we are passionate about and the adventures we live.
Vail Health has become the world’s most advanced mountain healthcare system. Our updated 520,000-square-foot hospital opened in December 2020. This state-of-the-art facility provides exceptional care to all of our patients, with the most beautiful views in the area, located centrally in Vail.
Some roles may be based outside of our Colorado office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our primary office can sit in any of the following states: AZ, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work primarily in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
- Works with providers and clinical staff to obtain complete orders and accurately schedule timely patient appointments, testing, and procedures. Ensures procedure education and communicates accurate clinic location and appointment information prior to appointment date and time.
- Verifies patient demographics and insurance details to create encounters for all appointments and procedures. Creates complete and accurate pre-registration accounts and verification of insurance eligibility and benefits for all scheduled appointments.
- Completes detailed new patient intake and coordinates scheduling of new referrals to Shaw Cancer Center with patient, clinical staff, and referring provider’s office.
- Uses scheduling request lists to make outgoing calls to schedule patients as orders come in. Documents contact attempts and selects appropriate dates for follow-up calls. Enters clear comments into EHR for tracking and communication with staff and providers. Follows reminder call procedures.
- Answers incoming phone calls, taking complete messages, carefully documenting phone calls in the electronic medical record, prioritizing and redirecting calls appropriately. Demonstrates excellent communication skills and phone etiquette. Interacts with external and internal parties with respect, courtesy, and sensitivity.
- Tracks certain schedule changes including, but not limited to, source of cancellations, reschedules, add-ons, transfers, etc. Assists leadership with utilization review and quality improvement activities by providing supporting documentation to leadership when questions arise.
- Works closely with all clinical staff, providers, schedulers, and front desk staff to improve the flow of patient movement and other processes.
- As an integral member of the business office team and to encourage growth of team members’ skills and knowledge, the Referral and Scheduling Specialist I is cross-trained and can cross cover Patient Access Representative I duties.
- Role models principles of a Just Culture and Vail Health Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
- One year of medical office or clinical experience required.
- N / A
- N / A
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computer skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc. Office-level typing and computer skills are required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Benefits at Vail Health
- Competitive Wages & Family Benefits:
- Competitive wages
- Parental leave (4 weeks paid)
- Housing programs
- Childcare reimbursement
- Comprehensive Health Benefits:
- Educational Programs:
- Tuition Assistance
- Existing Student Loan Repayment
- Specialty Certification Reimbursement
- Annual Supplemental Educational Funds
- Paid Time Off:
- Roughly five weeks in your first year of employment and continues to grow each year.
- Retirement & Supplemental Insurance:
- 403(b) Retirement plan with immediate matching
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability
- Recreation Benefits, Wellness & More:
- $1,000 annual wellbeing reimbursement
- Recreation discounts
- Pet insurance