Patient Accounts Specialist
To us, it's about living life to the fullest while serving our patients, teammates, neighbors and friends. We are dedicated and passionate in everything we do, seeking challenge and appreciating the routes that got us here. Whether our path is clinical or not, we all came to find balance and meaning in our lives within the work we are passionate about and the adventures we live.
Vail Health has become the world’s most advanced mountain healthcare system. Our updated 520,000-square-foot hospital opened in December 2020. This state-of-the-art facility provides exceptional care to all of our patients, with the most beautiful views in the area, located centrally in Vail.
Some roles may be based outside of our Colorado office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our primary office can sit in any of the following states: AZ, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work primarily in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Responsible for collection activities related to unpaid self-pay and patient residual accounts. Processes patient statements and maintains payment plans. Exhibits excellent customer service by working with patients to explain their bill in order to resolve their responsible portion. Directs department’s incoming calls and mail correspondence. As needed, acts as the back-up for the billing & follow-up specialists by assisting with insurance collections. Completes required reports and assists with special projects as assigned. Backs up other front office positions as needed.
- Responsible for processing and mailing patient statements. Also, notates delinquent status of accounts.
- Contacts patients regarding past due balances to obtain payment while complying with the facility’s collection polices.
- Works with patients to explain their bill in order to resolve their responsible portion.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and understanding of EOB’s, patient deductibles and co- pays, third party correspondence, contractual payments and adjustments.
- Monitors and maintains payment plans, including self-pay settlements.
- Responsible for prompt follow-up of patient inquiries.
- Screens patients for Financial Assistance Program eligibility and collects the necessary documents for the Director of Business Operations for final approval.
- Responsible for generating monthly bad debt account listing.
- Responsible for identifying patient overpayments for biweekly refunds, sends listing to supervisor for approval and processing.
- Directs department’s incoming calls and mail correspondence.
- Contributes to team effort to meet collection goals and reduce A/R days.
- On an as needed basis will assist and back-up other front office staff positions.
- Actively participates as a collaborative member of the department team by communicating constructively, identifying business office and interdepartmental problems, and resolving conflicts appropriately.
- Demonstrates professional conduct and appearance and is accountable for actions and outcomes.
- Demonstrates ability to give and receive peer review and feedback and incorporates this into his or her work.
- Role models the principals of a Just Culture and Organizational Values.
- Perform other duties as assigned must be HIPAA compliant.
- On the job training is provided. Associates degree, technical training or minimum of one year related experience required. Excellent customer service and ability to demonstrate compassion to patients. Must have strong EXCEL skills. Knowledge of Amkai and Zirmed systems helpful.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.Typing and computer skills are required.
- College degree preferred with emphasis in business and/or health sciences.
Benefits at Vail Health
- Competitive Wages & Family Benefits: Competitive wages, parental leave, housing programs and childcare reimbursement to support the cost of living in a mountain community.
- Comprehensive Health Benefits: Top-quality health care package including vision, dental and medical with options of flexible spending and health savings accounts.
- Education Assistance: We are proud to offer tuition and student loan assistance programs.
- Paid Time Off: Roughly five weeks in your first year of employment and continues to grow each year.
- Retirement & Supplemental Insurance: 403(b) Retirement plan with matching potential, life insurance, short and long-term disability, and more.
- Recreation Benefits, Wellness & More: Recreation discounts, pet insurance and a $1,000 annual wellness reimbursement program.
As a condition of employment, Vail Health requires COVID-19 vaccination of all clinical and non-clinical staff, excluding remote status.