Patient Access Representative
Pay Range: Min: $20 Mid: $22. Pay is based upon relevant education and experience.
An integral member of the Oncology front office team. Assists the Senior Patient Access Representative with oncology clinic scheduling needs and provides assistance as needed to oncology staff, patients, and visitors to ensure all clinic operations run smoothly. Effectively secures all required insurance treatment authorizations prior to treatment initiation for radiation, chemotherapy, and infusions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Regularly interacts with patients and staff to effectively coordinate multiple oncology-specific patient appointments.
- Obtains all required insurance prior authorizations for radiation, chemotherapy, and infusion prior to treatment initiation and appropriately documents all necessary insurance authorizations for billing purposes.
- Routinely collects patient demographic and insurance information and correctly enters/updates all patient information within the EMR.
- Triages multiple phone lines and ensure all patients are directed to the appropriate department. Resolves all non-clinical questions while providing excellent customer service on the phone.
- Utilizes the Oncology EMR to systematically communicate with oncology staff and outside departments regarding patient appointments, insurance updates, outstanding patient records and treatment authorization status.
- Acts as the primary contact for all new oncology and hematology patients. Interviews all new patients to obtain and document their oncology-specific medical/treatment history for records collection prior to the new patient consultation.
- Acts as the primary contact for all external infusion patients. Liaise with the ordering physician’s office to obtain complete infusion orders and pertinent medical records. Works closely with the oncology pharmacist and infusion nurses to confirm all necessary information is received and electronically scanned to the EMR.
- Responsible for continuously monitoring the insurance treatment authorizations for all patients on treatment and requesting updates and extensions as treatment regimens are changed.
- Acts as a liaison between the patient, clinical staff and the insurance company to ensure all appropriate clinical information is gathered and effectively communicates any anticipated treatment delays due to insurance authorization.
- Provides coverage of all front desk functions when the Senior Patient Access Representative is out of the office and provides administrative and clerical support as needed for oncology patients and staff.
- Promote an atmosphere of warmth, compassion, and understanding while demonstrating empathy and the ability to relate to families in crisis. Seek first to understand and come from a place of “What if?”
- Role models the principals of a Just Culture and Organizational Values
- Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a hospital admissions and/or patient front office setting.
- Must enjoy working within a small environment that is community-oriented and outcomes- driven.
- Exemplary planning and time management skills.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize daily workload.
Computer / Typing:
- Must be able to utilize multiple Electronic Medical Record systems including: Mosaiq, Cerner, and Paragon
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
As a condition of employment, Vail Health requires COVID-19 vaccination of all clinical and non-clinical staff.