Medical Records Clerk
Responsible for coordinating the medical records process of the Vail Valley Surgery Center including the assembly, maintenance, and storage of records in accordance with Surgery Center policies. Performs certain monthly closing and reporting procedures. Assists clinical staff with data collection. Responsible for administrative duties and assists with other duties as assigned. On an as needed basis will assist and back up other front office staff positions.
- Accurately maintains the predetermined, organized and secured record format. Arranges the scanning of medical records and verifies completeness.
- Required to inform physicians of signed documentation delinquency according to policy and procedures.
- Responsible for reporting delinquent dictation not completed in accordance with surgery center policies. Communicates with physicians’ offices to rectify missing or late dictation.
- Communicates nursing documentation deficiencies to clinical management.
- Receives and logs requests for medical information and obtains appropriate releases before filling medical record requests.
- Responsible for timely retrieval of individual records upon request.
- Assists management with month-end closing procedures. Prepares and/or reviews various month end reports.
- Assists the clinical staff with the collection and coordination of data such as blood usage, surgery complications, etc. that are included in the medical record review process.
- Works with management to stay abreast with new regulations and helps to effectively implement changes in Medical Record policies and procedures.
- Responsible for tracking compliance with Medical Records improvement initiatives and communicates findings to management
- On an as needed basis will assist and back up other front office staff positions.
- Demonstrates dedication to customer service such as assistance with telephone calls, giving directions, and providing general hospital information. Interacts with external and internal parties with courtesy and sensitivity.
- Actively participates as a collaborative member of the department team by communicating constructively, identifying business office and interdepartmental problems, and resolving conflicts appropriately.
- Demonstrates ability to give and receive peer review and feedback and incorporates this into his or her work.
- Role models the principles of a Just Culture.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
- On the job training is provided.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding desirable
- Spelling accuracy and detail oriented.
- Courtesy, patience, and tact when dealing with the public, patients, and staff.
Computer / Typing:
- Demonstrates proficiency in the Microsoft office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) or similar products.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Degree in Health Information or Business preferred.
As a condition of employment, Vail Health requires COVID-19 vaccination of all clinical and non-clinical staff.