Financial Counselor Specialist
To us, it's about living life to the fullest while serving our patients, teammates, neighbors and friends. We are dedicated and passionate in everything we do, seeking challenge and appreciating the routes that got us here. Whether our path is clinical or not, we all came to find balance and meaning in our lives within the work we are passionate about and the adventures we live.
Vail Health has become the world’s most advanced mountain healthcare system. Our updated 520,000-square-foot hospital opened in December 2020. This state-of-the-art facility provides exceptional care to all of our patients, with the most beautiful views in the area, located centrally in Vail.
Pay Grade: Min: $20.00 Max: $27.83. Pay is based upon relevant education and experience.
Screen patients with and without insurance to determine ﬁnancial means, including collecting required monies from patients. Assist patients with obtaining ﬁnancial sponsorship from internal and external agencies and charitable programs when ﬁnancial need is indicated and arranging payment plan according to Vail Health guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Obtain and verify patient financial information using the Financial Assistance Application form and any 3rd party application. Communicate in accordance with policy to patients whose applications are incomplete.
- Initiates credit scoring and comprehensive interviews to determine each patient’s eligibility for Medicaid, hospital-sponsored charity care, and other programs
- Screen uninsured patients for internal and state based financial assistance programs.
- Determine ﬁnancial responsibility of patients. Assist patients/representative with establishing payment plans. Collect required deposits and payments due on accounts.
- Counsel patients/representative who cannot pay according to Vail Health payment schedule and refer to appropriate agency for assistance as needed. Furnish and process forms for internal/external charitable programs.
- Follow up with patients who have not been financially cleared prior to discharge to help them navigate their responsibility and screen for financial assistance.
- Track and manage financial assistance adjustment amounts in billing system, communicate with business office and third party vendors.
- Post monies collected into ﬁnancial system.
- Assist in training of staﬀ. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build rapport with a wide variety of individuals.
- Models the principles of a Just Culture and Organizational Values.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant, comply with procedural guidelines, and maintain confidentiality.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Two years of similar work experience defined through prior roles with a similar level of communication, organization, customer service and exposure to regular/reoccurring financial transactions.
Previous hospital admissions or patient accounts oﬃce experience preferred.
Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
Computer / Typing:
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-speciﬁc competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online beneﬁts enrollment, etc. Must be
comfortable working with various computer programs, including the Microsoft Oﬃce suite.
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
Benefits at Vail Health
- Competitive Wages & Family Benefits: Competitive wages, parental leave, housing programs and childcare reimbursement to support the cost of living in a mountain community.
- Comprehensive Health Benefits: Top-quality health care package including vision, dental and medical with options of flexible spending and health savings accounts.
- Education Assistance: We are proud to offer tuition and student loan assistance programs.
- Paid Time Off: Roughly five weeks in your first year of employment and continues to grow each year.
- Retirement & Supplemental Insurance: 403(b) Retirement plan with matching potential, life insurance, short and long-term disability, and more.
- Recreation Benefits, Wellness & More: Recreation discounts, pet insurance and a $1,000 annual wellness reimbursement program.
As a condition of employment, Vail Health requires COVID-19 vaccination of all clinical and non-clinical staff.