Environment Sustainability Intern
Pay Range: This position is paid at $17 per hour.
The Environmental Sustainability Intern will be responsible for supporting the Environmental Sustainability Department and Vail Health’s sustainability initiatives. The Environmental Sustainability Projects Intern will gain specific and unique experience in sustainability operations within a healthcare system by handling waste streams, tracking data, and serving as a member on sustainability committees. The intern will be also be responsible for developing and implementing an individualized project associated with expanding Vail Health’s sustainability programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists in the handling and logistical support of Vail Health’s waste streams, including recyclable, hazardous, electronic, confidential shred, cleaning/maintaining receptacles and compostable materials
- Assists to provide education & outreach regarding recycling and composting programs as well as other initiatives to guests and employees
- Assists to develop and implement a sustainability project aimed at increasing Vail Health’s waste diversion
- Support the Environmental Sustainability Department with maintaining existing programs and helping to create new sustainability initiatives
- Collaborates with other departments to build and maintain cohesive working relationships, along with assisting Sustainability Specialist Co-Chairs on the Green Team
- Aids in data collecting associated with waste diversion and facilities bench marking system
- Supports the Sustainability Department with any additional tasks as necessary
- Develops professional skills through networking with local sustainability professionals
- Role models the principles of a Just Culture and Vail Health Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- Currently studying Environmental Sustainability or a related field preferred
- Current Valid Driver's license and ability to pass Vail Health’s Department of Motor Vehicle Report criteria.
Computer / Typing:
- Data analysis proficiency in benchmarking systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office programs or equivalent. Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computer skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Working towards a bachelor’s degree in environmental sustainability or related field preferred
As a condition of employment, Vail Health requires COVID-19 vaccination of all clinical and non-clinical staff.