Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist
To us, it's about living life to the fullest while serving our patients, teammates, neighbors and friends. We are dedicated and passionate in everything we do, seeking challenge and appreciating the routes that got us here. Whether our path is clinical or not, we all came to find balance and meaning in our lives within the work we are passionate about and the adventures we live.
Vail Health has become the world’s most advanced mountain healthcare system. Our updated 520,000-square-foot hospital opened in December 2020. This state-of-the-art facility provides exceptional care to all of our patients, with the most beautiful views in the area, located centrally in Vail.
Some roles may be based outside of our Colorado office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our primary office can sit in any of the following states: AZ, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work primarily in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
To provide education and consultation to patients with diabetes, obesity, and any and all metabolic and endocrine associated eating disorders and associated nutritional co-morbidities. The CDCES will work collaboratively with staff, physicians, industry, and patients to assure optimal management and outcomes. The CDCES will specialize in nutritional strategies, testing monitors, medication education (i.e., insulin pump education and management), and will serve as an advisor and leader in innovative strategies to optimize patient care. Above all they will be an advocate for patients by helping to assure that the care team is aligned and informed around the unique needs that patients present to the practice.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides condition specific education to patients to support optimization of their care, outcome and experience. The Educator will utilize appropriate teaching techniques that are sensitive to the learning styles of their patients and will be knowledgeable of the most contemporary information and approaches to disease management in their areas of expertise. This may include both individual and group patient visits.
- Facilitates the successful interaction and alignment between the physician and the patient by serving as an integral part of the care team. This may include seeing patients alongside the physician/provider.
- Will provide timely follow up to patient questions, phone calls, etc. where information is being sought to understand test results or defined treatment strategies .
- Will assure that there is timely documentation in the patient’s medical record and timely coding of services to optimize patient safety and assure compliant billing practices are followed.
- Will inform the patient’s physician or advanced practice provider of any information relevant to the plan of care, developing treatment strategies or adverse/unanticipated responses to care that may pose a patient safety risk.
- Will assist in the coordination of care of patients with diabetes within the endocrine practice
- Will assist in the coordination the growth and development of a comprehensive Diabetes Center of Excellence. This may include establishment of an ADA accredited program through such organizations as the Association of Diabetes Care and Education Specialists (ADCES) Diabetes Education Accreditation Program (DEAP) or the American Diabetes Association (ADA). Leadership of this accreditation effort would occur in close collaboration with the program’s Endocrinologist.
- Will serve as a liaison to industry representatives to assure that the clinic is properly equipped and utilizing technology inherent in the treatment of patients with diabetes or other applicable conditions.
- Will serve as an educational resource within the clinical team and will thereby help to elevate the level of clinical knowledge across all care team members.
- Assists in the insurance pre-certification process by organizing and getting the proper referral for the MNT or DSMT visit to assure that services being provided are reimbursable under the patients plan benefits.
- Provides assistance and education on coding and billing strategies for a CDE/RD in outpatient clinical practice.
- May participate in outreach activities as defined through strategic growth initiatives for the practice.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be HIPAA compliant.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a Registered Dietitian or Registered Nurse preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a Certified Diabetes Educator working in an outpatient clinical practice and expertise with use of insulin pumps and continuous glucose sensors required.
- Prior clinical experience working with Diabetic patients in an Outpatient Practice setting required.
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Colorado or from a valid compact state OR Commission on Dietetic Registration Certification required.
- Certified Diabetes Educator (National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators – RNCBDE) or American Association of Diabetes Educators AADE) required.
- CPR certification
Computer / Typing:
- Microsoft Office
- Ability to document clinical encounters appropriately in an Electronic Medical Record.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
Benefits at Vail Health
- Competitive Wages & Family Benefits: Competitive wages, parental leave, housing programs and childcare reimbursement to support the cost of living in a mountain community.
- Comprehensive Health Benefits: Top-quality health care package including vision, dental and medical with options of flexible spending and health savings accounts.
- Education Assistance: We are proud to offer tuition and student loan assistance programs.
- Paid Time Off: Roughly five weeks in your first year of employment and continues to grow each year.
- Retirement & Supplemental Insurance: 403(b) Retirement plan with matching potential, life insurance, short and long-term disability, and more.
- Recreation Benefits, Wellness & More: Recreation discounts, pet insurance and a $1,000 annual wellness reimbursement program.
As a condition of employment, Vail Health requires COVID-19 vaccination of all clinical and non-clinical staff, excluding remote status.