To us, it's about living life to the fullest while serving our patients, teammates, neighbors and friends. We are dedicated and passionate in everything we do, seeking challenge and appreciating the routes that got us here. Whether our path is clinical or not, we all came to find balance and meaning in our lives within the work we are passionate about and the adventures we live.
Vail Health has become the world’s most advanced mountain healthcare system. Our updated 520,000-square-foot hospital opened in December 2020. This state-of-the-art facility provides exceptional care to all of our patients, with the most beautiful views in the area, located centrally in Vail.
Some roles may be based outside of our Colorado office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our primary office can sit in any of the following states: AZ, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
- Monitors for appropriateness of admission, continued stay, and readiness for discharge based on department defined guidelines
and criteria as evidenced by appropriate documentation. Demonstrates utilization review accuracy using Interqual criteria.
- Informs the patient and the attending physician when the patient doesn’t meet acute care criteria according to department criteria.
- Cooperates with other departments in defense of denial of services by reviewing the chart for documentation of appropriateness of
the admission/continued stay as evidenced by provision of supporting chart documentation.
- Communicates with attending physicians when necessary.
- Identifies the post-hospital equipment and unmet care needs of the inpatient and The Medicare patient (including observation)
beginning within 24 hours of notification of admission as evidenced by placement of the completed discharge planning needs
assessment form in the social service section of the chart.
- Identifies the psychosocial needs of the patient and/or family and addresses those needs or make a referral to social services as
appropriate as evidenced by documentation on the discharge planning needs assessment form.
- Identifies the unmet financial needs of the patient and addresses those needs or make a referral to Inpatient Admissions
Representative for HELP program or Social Services as appropriate.
- Ensures that no services are denied for lack of clinical information when accurate contact numbers are received from Insurance
Verification within the payer’s time-frame as evidenced by absence of denials which fall within the above guidelines.
- Follows-up with patients within 14 days post-discharge where discharge planning referrals were made to identify the adequacy /
flaws in the process.
- Role models the principals of a Just Culture.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant
- One year recent experience in acute care hospital Utilization Review, Discharge Planning or equivalent.
- Two years experience in case management if incumbent is a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Colorado or from a valid compact state OR licensed as a Licensed Practical
Nurse in the state of Colorado required
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements
for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc
- Associates or Bachelor's degree in nursing.
- Able to pass annual inter-rater reliability competency exam (IRR) with a score of 80%.
Benefits at Vail Health
- Competitive Wages & Family Benefits: Competitive wages, parental leave, housing programs and childcare reimbursement to support the cost of living in a mountain community.
- Comprehensive Health Benefits: Top-quality health care package including vision, dental and medical with options of flexible spending and health savings accounts.
- Education Assistance: We are proud to offer tuition and student loan assistance programs.
- Paid Time Off: Roughly five weeks in your first year of employment and continues to grow each year.
- Retirement & Supplemental Insurance: 403(b) Retirement plan with matching potential, life insurance, short and long-term disability, and more.
- Recreation Benefits, Wellness & More: Recreation discounts, pet insurance and a $1,000 annual wellness reimbursement program.
As a condition of employment, Vail Health requires COVID-19 vaccination of all clinical and non-clinical staff.